Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Songs of Cognitive Dissonance

A few days ago I had a conversation with a friend regarding songs whose meanings are different than the popular culture. For instance, "Born In the USA". Instead of a rip roaring ode to the US America, it is a bitter song of lost promise, failed dreams and decay. Not exactly what the Reaganites believed it to be. I know because I read the liner notes.

My personal fav? The Police's "Every Breath You Take." Instead of a song of insane love as played at weddings, it's an even creepier song about a stalker and his (definitely him) prey. I've been told that I'm no romantic and bitter who can't find love (true) but I retorted to them, "Sing it while imagining yourself lying down on the ground with your eye in a scope as you look at your target while grasping a sniper rifle ." Not so romantic, eh? "Every breath you take, I'll be watching you."

No comments: